True Self Systems
Your privacy is very important to me and you can be confident that your personal information will be kept safe and secure and will only be used for the purpose it was given to me. I adhere to current data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation (EU/2016/679) (the GDPR), the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. This privacy notice tells you what I will do with your personal information from initial point of contact through to after your therapy has ended, including:
- Why I am able to process your information and what purpose I am processing it for
- Whether you have to provide it to me
- How long I store it for
- Whether there are other recipients of your personal information
- Whether I intend to transfer it to another country
- Whether I do automated decision-making or profiling
- Your data protection rights
I am happy to chat through any questions you might have about my data protection policy and you can contact me via email@example.com.
‘Data controller’ is the term used to describe the person/ organisation that collects and stores and has responsibility for people’s personal data. In this instance, the data controller is me. I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office [ZB576723 ]. My postal address is: Unit 210, First Floor, Warwick Works, Downs Road, Lower Clapton, London E5 8QJ.
My lawful basis for holding and using your personal information
The GDPR states that I must have a lawful basis for processing your personal data. There are different lawful bases depending on the stage at which I am processing your data. I have explained these below:
If you have had therapy with me and it has now ended, I will use legitimate interest as my lawful basis for holding and using your personal information.
If you are currently having therapy or if you are in contact with me to consider therapy, I will process your personal data where it is necessary for the performance of our contract.
The GDPR also makes sure that I look after any sensitive personal information that you may disclose to me appropriately. This type of information is called ‘special category personal information’. The lawful basis for me processing any special categories of personal information is that it is for provision of services (in this case, somatic and systemic therapies) and necessary for a contract with a professional service provider (in this case, a contract between me and you).
How I Use Your Information
When you contact me with an enquiry about my services I will collect information to help me satisfy your enquiry. This will include:
- Phone number (optional)
- Summary of why you are getting in touch (optional)
If you email me or complete a contact from on my website, this information goes into an Protonmail encrypted email acount. If you decide not to proceed I will ensure all your personal data is deleted within 1 year. If you would like me to delete this information sooner, just let me know.
- Blocked telephone numbers or spammed email addresses, where the content of messages is misaligned with the services offered here.
While you are accessing services
Once you book an initial assessment session, the necessity for information increases to include the following:
- Emergency contact details
- Request for relevant health information such as: allergies, injuries, diagnosis, medications
- History intake form (optional)
Rest assured that everything you discuss with me is confidential. That confidentiality will only be broken where required to by law. I will always try to speak to you about this first, unless there are safeguarding issues that prevent this.
I will keep a record of your personal details to help your sessions run smoothly. These details are kept securely on Cliniko practice management software for clinics and allied health practitioners and are not shared with any third party. I will keep brief written “aide-mémoire” style notes of each session and a history intake form if you return one. These are all kept on Cliniko.
For security reasons I do not retain text messages for more than 3 months. If there is relevant information contained in a text message I will copy it onto your Cliniko record. Likewise, any email correspondence will be deleted after 1 year if it is not important. If necessary I will transfer important emails onto your Cliniko record.
After your sessions have ended.
- Data retained that relates to non payment of fees.
- Data relating to a complaint process (or probably one), where communications between client and practitioner are required to be shared with a relevant membership body.
- Anonymised tracking data that facilitates maintenance of good practice. E.g. numeric outcomes of goal tracking forms and other related measures.
Third Party Recipients of Personal Data
I sometimes contract a supplier to carry out specific tasks. I take care to choose third parties with robust privacy standards. Current third party contractors are as follows (privacy and legal statement linked to where appropriate):
- DK Green Counselling: annonymised reports of session content for the purposes of supervision.
- Protonmail: email provider using end to end encryption.
- Stripe: payment processeor.
- Eventbrite: where used for workshop bookings.
- Mailchimp: for the purposes of the True Self Systems general mailing list.
- Apple: iphone full name and telephone number contact list.
For third party website information, read on below.
I try to be as open as I can be in terms of giving people access to their personal information. You have a right to ask me to delete your personal information, to limit how I use your personal information, or to stop processing your personal information. You also have a right to ask for a copy of any information that I hold about you and to object to the use of your personal data in some circumstances. You can read more about your rights at ico.org.uk/your-data-matters. If I do hold information about you I will:
- give you a description of it and where it came from
- tell you why I am holding its, tell you how long I will store your data and how I made this decision
- tell you who it could be disclosed to
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
You can also ask me at any time to correct any mistakes there may be in the personal information I hold about you. To make a request for any personal information I may hold about you, please put the request in writing addressing it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any complaint about how I handle your personal data please do not hesitate to get in touch with me by writing or emailing to the contact details given above. I would welcome any suggestions for improving my data protection procedures.
If you want to make a formal complaint about the way I have processed your personal information you can contact the ICO which is the statutory body that oversees data protection law in the UK. For more information go to ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint.
I take the security of the data I hold about you very seriously and as such I take every effort to make sure it is kept secure. I do this as follows:
- Prioritising privacy standards when choosing contractors.
- Enabling 2 factor authentification.
- Using strong passwords.
- Up till the end of 2023, all paper records are kept in a locked safe (from 2024 onwards all records will be kept digitally on Cliniko).
Visitors to my Website
I use the platforms named below to build and maintain my website. When someone visits my website, I allow some of these services to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. I do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way that does not identify anyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long are sessions?
- If you see me weekly - I recommend 1 hour - but some people prefer 1.5 hours.
- If you see me fortnightly - I recommend a 1.5 hour session - but some people prefer (or can only afford) 1 hour.
- For single standalone sessions - I recommend 1.5 hours - but some people prefer 1 hour.
- Longer sessions are availble by negotiation.
How many sessions do I need to have?
- I mostly work with people across more substantial periods of time, with a recurring session slot weekly or fortnightly. This has the benefit of building a strong relational container through which we can safely access deeper material for transformation.
- A programme of work might combine both in person and online sessions: you can move flexibly between them within the same recurring session slot.
- In longer ongoing work I often interchangeably use several modalities, in partnership and negotiation with your needs as they change.
- Some people really benefit from a single standalone session or a very short series. This works well for illuminating a single issue or question. Single sessions are generally most appropriate for a Family Constellation or an educational piece.
- Single sessions don't allow for building a container of relationship to facilitate attachment healing ruptures and repair. Healing your inner child / trauma sensitive breathwork / Transforming Touch: all benefit from an ongoing container of relationship to be effective.
How do I know which therapy to choose?
Sometimes which therapy to use is really clear. This maybe because you have experienced a range of healing modalities enabling you to be really clear about where to go next. Or it maybe because during the intake process, you offer a piece of information that makes it really clear to me which tool in my toolkit will be most useful to your enquiry.
Sometimes it is not so clear either to you or to me where to begin. This is where an orientation session is really useful as it gives you chance to experience some of the ways that I work. It also offers me more time to explore your enquiry in depth out of which I can make a recommendation for a plan of work.
What happens in a session?
This is a brief summary of what happens in each session type for your ease of comparison:
You will be asked to complete a family tree form prior to your session (this is optional). We will spend some time talking about your themes. We will then 'constellate' using your inner vision, floor markers or small figures. I will teach you how to do this so don't worry, I have several methods and there is a right one for everybody!
Where relevant I may ask you to complete a form requesting information about your birth. We will spend some time talking about your themes and then explore them more deeply by bringing attention to your body and your breath while you remain seated in your chair. Unlike other breathwork practices (e.g. holotropic) I don't use loud music and I don't ask you to lie down.
In an introductory session I will offer you a short teaching, so you can understand how transforming touch (and intentional touch) works. We will talk about your themes and collboratively identify the things you want to transform. I will describe to you the pattern of touch and ask your permission to continue. In an intro session, the transforming touch may last 15 - 20 mins. In subsequent sessions it may last as long as 40 minutes.
Transforming touch: you lie on a massage table - clothed - and under a blanket if you like. I place my hands for 1 - 6 minutes to connect with areas of your body such as your kidney adrenals or brainstem. This is called the 7 point protocol. In time we will add 'enhancements' to this, which may include guided movements relating to primitive reflexe integration.
Transforming intentional touch: we move through the 7 point protocol and any enhancements 'intentionally'. I don't touch you, but guide the process with my voice. E.g. "I am bringing my attention now to support your kidney adrenals".
Throughout the whole process - you may opt to remain silent or continue to talk and share what is emerging for you. I will engage with the process as it unfolds for you, bringing guideance and support.
When learning online as an individual you will be taught solo embodied practices such as Awaken the Hands and Wheel of Consent theory too. For a description of in person sessions that include touch, please see the section Touch and Consent below. Please note that whilst these sessions include touch and discussions about desire, they do not include unclothed or sexual touch.
My work with practitioners is a mixture of practical guidance and transformational enquiry, to unite what you do best with those whom you best serve. We can use constellations or breathwork to transform blocks in your working life. Or I can guide you to develop your own branding and website, so sessions will be much more practically orientated e.g. developing design and logo, writing copy, learning how to DIY your own website.
Touch and Consent
Elements of my work may include touch - here is a summary of when / where / how:
- Family Constellations - the only / most likely kind of touch is hand on your shoulder to support regulation, or to embody the supportive presence of an element of the constellation. I will make a simple request or statement first.
- Trauma Sensitive Breathwork - my baseline is to begin with seated sessions where any touch comes from your own hands, e.g. a hand on your chest or your stomache to feel the movement of your breath. Breath coaching in subsequent sessions may include more touch. e.g. my hands on the back and front of your chest so you can breathe and feel the space in between.
- TEB: transforming touch follows a specific protocol that is described to you before beginning, touch follows a permission request.
- The Wheel of Consent Sessions - receiving clothed non sexual touch, either seated or on a massage table, maybe part of this work. From Dr. Betty Martins website, here is a video of how the seated touch would look (take / allow dynamic), and here is what the table work would look like.
Mixed Modality Sessions:
Some people approach my work clearly wanting to experience just one area of it. Others are drawn to my work because of the range of approaches that I use and sessions may be mixed modality.
Either way, how I approach sessions is strongly influenced by a Pluralistic approach that celebrates diversity. I understand that therapy is most effective when it takes account of your preferences and that an effective therapeutic relationship is characterised by collaboration, caring and trust.
The Somatic Therapy Studio is accessed via one flight of stairs. It is a hight priority for me to move my work to a wheelchair accessible space, but unfortunately at this time, in-person work is not wheelchair accessible.
I have experience of offering somatic and systemic work (both online and in-person), across a range of client neurodivergence and disability. If you have access needs please let me know in the intake form and we can discuss whether I am able to meet them. Here are areas of experience in my work:
- Sensory Processing Disorder / Issues
- Wheelchair users (online)
- Hard of Hearing
- ME / CFS
How do I know you are a safe and ethical practitioner?
Safety Frameworks in Practice
I have regular supervision with DK Green Psychotherapy, I hold public liability insurance with BGI UK. I am a member of ASIS and uphold it's code of ethics, it also has a complaints process. You can see exactly what I studied and with whom, by reading my training and experience page.
Other memberships: I am part of closed regularly meeting, peer support and suppervision practitioner circle. We are called Plurilium and consist of 5 practitioners. Focus keywords of our discussions include consent, ethics, nervous system awareness, community accountability, GSRD & LGBTQIA+ practice.
When undertaking superivison, care is taken to not give details that would reveal your identity. In the rare event that my supervisor were to recognise a client via details given, the conversation would be drawn to a close and I would take that casework elsewhere.
Here are some important areas of the ASIS code of ethics:
Section 1 and 3:
You can expect me to behave in a professional manner, to conduct responsible relationships with a care to do no harm. You can expect me to be reliable in agreements forged. I recognise the importance of consent and provide a range of options for you, from which you can elect to chose to best serve your growth. At no time will you be required or coerced to participate in any activity, event or exercise.
Section 5 a-f:
Sessions are client centered and clients' boundaries are of primary importance. I understand the imbalance of power between practitioners and clients or students. I hold a care not to use that power imbalance for exploitation of any kind. Sessions are not a vehicle by which romantic sexual connection is fulfilled, either my own or that of my clients. I do not have any sexual connection with clients outside of sessions.
Please see also what happens in a session.
Your data and privacy
A disclaimer, please read:
In booking a session you understand and agree to the following:
None of the work I undertake has a scientific or medical evidence base. Whilst every effort has been made to create a safe environment for you, you also agree to undertake this work at your own risk. You agree to be reponsible for your own wellbeing, including checking in advance with suitable practitioners if this work is suitable for you. This might include:
- Your medical practitioner / GP / doctor
- Any psychiatric or mental health practitioners you are under the care of
If you are booking from the USA:
The definition of "therapy" used on this website accords with the common language usage of that term in the UK. Therapy in the UK denotes a rande of holistic practices that support people to experience greater well-being.