The Wheel of Consent,
An In-Person Weekend Workshop, London UK,
For Clearer Communication in All Areas of Life.
Next Wheel of Consent Weekend Workshop:
Sat 10th & Sun 11th December 2022,
Hackney, London UK.
Rose and Rupert are delighted to offer a 2-day, in-person Wheel of Consent weekend workshop in London this December. The Wheel of Consent is a model of relating which brings more authenticity, responsibility, confidence and freedom to our relationships in all areas of life: with work colleagues, with friends and family, and in our most intimate relationships.
The Wheel uniquely distinguishes between the ‘doing’ aspect of an interaction: who is doing? – and the ‘gift’ aspect: who is it for? Asking these two questions together creates four dynamics or ‘quadrant’s, each of which has a different flavour and requires a different type of consent agreement to be made. This is the central insight of the Wheel of Consent, from which many consequences and insights flow.
We can practice experiencing each of the Wheel’s four quadrants, discovering which of them feel comfortable and which feel unfamiliar, enabling us to clarify our desires, needs and boundaries, and shining a light on our blind-spots. We see how our conditioning might have closed down or distorted our expression of these qualities, and how we can use the Wheel as a practice to open them up again. The format of this weekend will be slightly different to our previous workshops:
- We will consider the insights of the Wheel of Consent within the broader context of consent: socially, politically and culturally, and how each of these impacts our personal experience of consent.
- We practice ‘Waking the Hands’. This is the foundation of the Wheel as an embodied practice, bringing more awareness and sensitivity to our sense of touch, and the feelings and responses which arise from it.
- There will be invitations into embodied exercises to help us notice our inner felt sense of want to, willing to and not willing to, as described by the Wheel. None of the exercises on Saturday will involve any shared touch with others.
- There will be opportunities to have embodied experiences of each of the four quadrants of the Wheel of Consent by sharing simple, guided touch with other participants, limited to the hand and fore-arm. Participants will be supported to remain in choice at all times around any shared touch.
- There will also be opportunities for the group to reflect together on the learnings which arise, and how to integrate these practices into your daily life.
Who is this workshop for?
- Anyone interested in gaining a conceptual and embodied understanding of the Wheel of Consent.
- Anyone wanting to learn a new consent model for clearer communication in all areas of life.
- Anyone interested in gently and gradually exploring their embodied conditioning around touch, and communicating about touch
- Anyone interested in learning new techniques for self-regulating the nervous system.
IMPORTANT: You do not have to touch, or be touched by anyone else to take part in this workshop. We will always provide alternatives to any shared touch. Slowing down, paying close attention, and noticing that we have a choice, are far more important than any actual ‘doing’.
This work can touch some deep places inside us, which may give rise to challenging feelings or responses. We ask that before booking, participants feel confident that they have sufficient resilience, self care and support to negotiate this terrain. The workshop is educational rather than therapeutic, however we take a trauma-informed approach to supporting everyone through the process, where needed.
People of all genders, orientations and relationship status are welcome. You are welcome to book on your own, or with a friend(s) or partner(s). If you book with partners/friends, you may choose to work mainly or solely with them if you prefer, during any paired exercises.
Spaces are limited to 12 participants to ensure we have time and space to respond to individual questions.
Facilitators: Rupert James Alison & Rose C Jiggens
Sat 10th Dec: 10.30am – 6pm
Sun 11th Dec: 10.30am – 5pm
Venue: Hackney, East London. Our venue is a quirky and colourful private home which has a kitchen and private garden which we can use during breaks. It also has two sets of internal stairs which are unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.
Cost: £245 (supportive) / £220 (regular) / £195 (low-income) / £170 (supported – limited places). Paying the supportive rate allows us to enable people on low incomes to attend. Payments are 100% refundable with four weeks’ notice and 50% refundable with two weeks’ notice (minus a £10 admin fee).
Spaces are limited and must be booked in advance: Please use the contact forms below to get in touch. On booking we ask you to send us a couple of sentences describing why you would like to attend, any previous experience of the Wheel of Consent, and any particular needs or requests you might have. Many thanks.
COVID: We will monitor the ongoing Covid situation in relation to any possible ‘winter wave’. We will ask that you take a lateral flow test the day before the workshop begins and that you do not attend if you test positive or have Covid-like symptoms on the day.
About Rupert & Rose:
Rose is a therapist and educator working in London and online, they are a good person to see when you want a somatic (body) oriented approach. Rose supports adults with a wide range of enquiries using: Family Constellations, Trauma Sensitive Breathwork, Transforming Touch® and The Wheel of Consent®.
Rupert loves to facilitate explorations of how we can be with ourselves and with each other as we deepen our embodied sense of authentic consent. He has many years’ experience teaching consent and intimacy practices to groups, and is a fully accredited Wheel of Consent facilitator with Betty Martin’s School of Consent. See www.artofconsent.co.uk
For further details of Betty Martin’s Wheel of Consent, see www.schoolofconsent.org
Please do get in touch if you have any questions and/or feel called to join us …
Rupert & Rose